Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Robin Askwith, The Confessions of Robin Askwith (London, Ebury Press, 1999)

Friday 1st May 1981
I have been offered a considerable amount of money to do 16 weeks in Jersey, UK with ‘Confessions from a Health Farm’, as a summer season. I have also been offered considerably less to appear in Lindsay Anderson’s new film, ‘Britannia Hospital’, playing the same character I played in ‘If …’.
     I phoned Lindsay up. He was most amused.
     ‘Jersey sounds interesting, Robin, what’s the play?’
     Knowing full well what the bloody play was.
     ‘Er … well, it’s ‘Confessions from a Health Farm’, actually.’
     ‘Who wrote that? I can’t remember.’
     ‘Well I did.’
‘I see … now you do know that some people shop at Harrods and some at Woolworths.’
Robin Askwith, The Confessions of Robin Askwith (London, Ebury Press, 1999), pp. 166-167